Things To Consider: Prior to a Major Pool Renovation Process!
Updated: Oct 17, 2019
Things To Consider:
When undergoing a pool renovation, there are some things that are inherent in any renovation process. The following list is a few things to consider, as well as things one may not realize WE do!
· If we cannot see an issue, we may not know that it needs to be fixed.
· There are often issues that we cannot discover, until we are in the renovation process.
· Most renovation specialists will advise that you leave room within your budget, for unseen expenses.
· In addition to weather, both unforeseen changes and customer requests for changes, will cause delays.
· We’ve noticed a higher percentage of change orders on renovation projects, when compared to new construction.
· Please allow room within your schedule for delays.
Access & Product Staging
· Much like new construction projects, we will need access and an area for staging products.
· Please consider where this will occur, as landscape may be damaged and will need to be replaced.
Some Of The Many Renovation Services We Offer:
We recommend that you contact us, to recommend a leak detection specialist to conduct a leak detection service on your pool, before the remodel work begins. This would include a leak detection of the pool itself, pressure testing the plumbing and a written report of all issues.
Cracks in Pool Interior
Cracks in the pool may be able to be repaired during the re-plaster process. Based on the severity of the crack, they may require torque-locks, pressure grout or other options, in order to be repaired. Either way, crack repairs cannot be guaranteed, without replacing the shell of the pool.
· It is important to remember that during the remodel process, the pool equipment will be shut down for weeks, sometimes months depending on the scope. This may present a problem when this equipment is started back up; much the same as when dealing with an older car, that has been sitting for a while.
1. Filter - It is important to replace the internal components, after the new plaster finish is applied and cured. Whether it is a cartridge, sand or D.E. style filter.
2. Filter Pump - We recommend replacing the filter pump or leaving room within your budget to replace the pump if needed after the renovation process.
· Energy efficient upgrades and re-piping of the equipment pad (as shown above, with smooth flow), can save money and make your pool easier to maintain.
· Many older pools do not feature a chlorination system and still require the traditional manual application of chlorine in liquid, granular or solid form.
· Here are two of the most common systems we offer and easiest to install during the renovation:
1. Salt-Chlorine Generating System - This will convert salt into chlorine which will make the water softer and easier on the eyes. By generating chlorine at a consistent rate, the pool will be easier to maintain.
2. UV Ozone System - This is a great disinfectant and is introduced at the pump, it will appear as bubbles. These systems still require some chlorine.
In-Floor Cleaning System
If your pool has an existing in-floor cleaning system, here are some things to consider:
· Replacing Collars - If you do not replace the collars, the heads will be in a divot and not work as well as before.
· Replacing Heads - If you do not replace the heads, they may not function as well as before.
· Color - If the color of your interior is changing, it may not match the collars and fittings. For Example, if you are going from white to a dark blue interior, white heads will drastically stand out verses changing collars and heads, to a dark gray.
· Water Valve - If your system is currently not working, often times the module is in need of replacing. We strongly recommend that you budget for or plan on replacing the module, during the renovation process.
Pebble Finish - is a finish with natural pebble aggregate mixed in, to increase durability and enhance light and dark colors. This product is considered the most durable product available. This product features a limited lifetime, manufacturer’s warranty.
We can also add glass beads (various colors), to your pebble interior, and you may choose a specific color for your interior. The options are endless from abalone, glass beads, tile inserts, etc. You can make your pool just as unique as you are.
While it is not 100% necessary to install new waterline pool tile during a re-surfacing, it is strongly recommended for two (2) reasons.
· First, it is highly likely they (the tiles) will be damaged in the process and if there are no extras, many times the tile is discontinued and impossible to find a match.
· Second, it is more expensive and does not finish as well, when done separately.
Don't forget about the area in and around the pool. Factor in the color of your pool tile, go for more diffusion. Poo lighting choices are endless, Fiber Optic, LED, Color Changing, underwater, automated, etc. You may also want to consider lighting up pathways, as well.
Many pools in need of remodel feature a spray-crete deck, or a brick paver deck. One option is to install a Natural Stone Deck, the options are endless, as well as environmentally friendly and long lasting.
Drainage - Over time, existing drains can be clogged or damaged. In the renovation process, we can replace, add, or expand drainage systems.
An in-ground concrete spa can be added in just about any situation, but it does require the same phased construction process for building a new swimming pool; i.e. excavation, steel, plumbing, shotcrete, hardscape, tile and plaster. In addition, new equipment will be required to operate the jets and heat the spa.
Sunshelf & Bench Additions
Like a spa, a sunshelf or bench can be added in just about any situation, but it also requires a similarly phased construction process to building a new, small swimming pool; i.e. excavation, steel, plumbing, shotcrete, hardscape, tile and plaster.
Water Feature Additions
If you are planning to renovate the deck, your options are endless on what you can add. We can provide Water Fire Pots, Water Falls, Sheer Descents, Bubblers, Deck Jets, etc.
Christie's specializes in Swimming Pool & Backyard Renovations. You have pictured it in your head. You have sat on your lanai in summer’s heat and dreamed about the relaxing pool and the living spaces that would surround it. Not only are we experts at renovating swimming pools and spa's, we also can help build structures and amenities that will complete your backyard escape.
Give us a call at (239) 440-1241, to set up an on-site appointment.